- Think in English rather than thinking in your native language. It helps quicken the process of learning English. We think throughout the waking hours, and talk to ourselves within our minds, and it is known as inner dialogue. Make use of this inner dialogue and thinking power to improve your English language.
- Check the influence of your mother tongue. It is easier said done. However, by being conscious about it, and through practice you can overcome from the influence and interference of your mother tongue.
- Read good books and newspapers, and pick up new vocabulary regularly. For instance, daily pick up 10 to 15 new words and understand their meaning from dictionary. Then, learn to apply these words into sentences as application of knowledge is more important than the acquisition of knowledge. Over a period of time, you will have a huge collection of vocabulary not only in your records but also in your mind, and you will be able to use it spontaneously.
- Listen to the English news channels as it gives you not only knowledge about the current affairs of both national and international but also you can learn the usage of language and understand how to pronounce certain words thus improving your English accent. Here is a caution! Listen more and see less as we human beings tend to focus more on pictures and less on listening. When you listen rather than see you will be able to concentrate more and improve your English language amazingly.
- Apply the acquired knowledge of vocabulary by reading and listening from news channels by speaking with others. You cannot learn swimming by reading books alone. You need to get into water to acquire the art of swimming. Similarly, you must practice with others by speaking in English language. Here is a caution! Don’t worry about making mistakes. If you are overly concerned about making mistakes you don’t develop the courage to speak in English. Hence, keep speaking in English language unmindful of the mistakes, and over a period of time you will find yourself speaking English fluently. Remember that a child learns walking by falling repeatedly. Similarly, you will learn any language by making mistakes initially.
Thursday, 26 July 2012
“How to Improve Your English Language?” - Professor M.S.Rao
“And yes, English is the most powerful medium of communication in the world: should we not then rejoice at the artists’ mastery of it, and at their growing influence.” – Salman Rushdie and Elizabeth West
Indian students encounter several challenges while communicating with others in English. Most of the educated Indian youth are keen to speak in English language to connect with others, and enhance their career prospects. But they often find it challenging to speak in English language. There are a number of reasons for this.
Students are scared of what others think if they speak in English wrongly as English is not their native language. Some people ridicule English speakers, and as a result, students are hesitant to speak in English language. They have apprehensions that they would make mistakes while speaking as most of them are overly concerned about grammar. The influence and interference of mother tongue is another cause for concern for students that prevent them from speaking in English although they have fascination for this foreign language. Here are the steps to follow to improve your English language:
Hence, follow these steps to improve your English language to get exposed to the outside world and grab opportunities.
“If you talk to a man in a language he understands, that goes to his head. If you talk to him in his language, that goes to his heart.” - Nelson Mandela
Born for the Students
I would appreciate your comments about this article.
Copyright©2012 MSR Leadership Consultants India. All Rights Reserved. Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.
This is an educational blog for free sharing of knowledge, not for commercial use. Please don't cut articles from my blog and redistribute by email or post to the web. The use of this material is free provided copyright is acknowledged and reference or link is made to the Blog http://professormsrao.blogspot.com This material may not be sold, or published in any form, or used in the provision of business services to a third party without permission.