Thursday 13 March 2014

“Satyamev Jayate - Fate of Faculty in Private Educational Institutions in India”- Professor M.S.Rao



“A good teacher is like a candle - it consumes itself to light the way for others.” – Anonymous


Recently one of my students came to my office along with her friends to seek donation for a social cause. I admired her initiative. Usually I am busy with my research and training programs and rarely interact with students and others in my office except during teaching and training programs. I clarify most of their questions at the end of the session as my answers are useful to majority of the participants as some of them might have similar questions.  When I respond to the queries of a few students the majority gets benefit from my responses as the amount of energy I invest for clarifying the question of one student separately in my office and in an open training session remains the same.

I replied her that I would share my knowledge free; I can dedicate my books to students; and I can buy books from market and gift to students; but I cannot donate any money for social causes as I have tight finances. Subsequently I felt very bad for giving her such response. She came with lots of expectations along with her friends to my office. I was more worried about her as she is a very kindhearted and bright student, and I respect her a lot. I also included her name in the dedication list in one of my authored books. Usually I dedicate my books to a few worthy students to inspire them as I want to make a difference in the lives of students as a professor.  My dedication inspires students who can proudly show to others that ‘Professor M.S.Rao has dedicated his book to me’ apart from serving it as a reference during their employment interview.  I also buy my own authored books from market and gift to students apart from gifting them chocolates occasionally to inspire them. All these things led to more expectations from students which I am unable to accomplish.  

Students don’t know the challenges of faculty members in private educational institutions. They are hardly compensated properly. Most times they get salaries late and some private educational institutions don’t pay the salary of the last month when the faculty member resigns. The family members of faculty members working in private educational institutions in India lead a hand to mouth life which the students are not aware of.

There are a number of challenges for faculty members in Indian educational institutions. For instance, students expect a lot from them. The promoters of educational institutions expect a lot from them. There are expectations from all quarters but the faculty is not in a position to rise to expectations of others.

Teaching profession is a service oriented profession and a noble profession. There is hardly any money in it. The teachers cannot build bungalows in India. The only satisfaction they get is that they are preparing students who can become better citizens and build bungalows and live in them happily.

I hope the readers can understand and empathize with the fate of faculty in private educational institutions in India.  I implore Aamir Khan to highlight this issue during his program - ‘Satyamev Jayate Part II’


"The mediocre teacher tells. The good teacher explains. The superior teacher demonstrates. The great teacher inspires." - William Arthur Ward


If you like this article, Like me and share me Facebook Page: https://www.facebook.com/pages/Professor-MSRao/451516514937414




Life is great!

Listed in Marquis Who's Who in the World in 2013
Professor M.S.Rao Born for the Students
21 Success Sutras for Leaders: Top 10 Leadership Books of the Year (San Diego University) Amazon URL: http://www.amazon.com/21-Success-Sutras-Leaders-ebook/dp/B00AK98ELI




Thanks for reading!

Kindly share your thoughts and comments below, I’m sure someone out there will find your story useful.



Copyright©2014 MSR Leadership Consultants India. All Rights Reserved. Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.

This is an educational blog for free sharing of knowledge, not for commercial use. Please don't cut articles from my blog and redistribute by email or post to the web. The use of this material is free provided copyright is acknowledged and reference or link is made to the Blog http://professormsrao.blogspot.com  This material may not be sold, or published in any form, or used in the provision of business services to a third party without permission.

No comments:

Post a Comment