Friday 25 October 2013

“Early Success Breeds Excessive Ego” - Professor M.S.Rao



"When I was young, I observed that nine out of 10 things I did were failures, so I did 10 times more work." - George Bernard Shaw, Writer and Critic


I have come across with a number of people who developed excessive ego due to early success in their lives. Success went to their heads. I have seen most of them falling in their lives later miserably as they failed to learn lessons in life. The truth is that everybody wants to achieve success but the timing of success in one’s life matters a lot. If people are humble by nature, their early success will catapult them to even greater success in rest of their lives.  Unfortunately, some people develop excessive ego and make mistakes in their lives as they take success for granted thus hitting lows in their lives subsequently and regretting at the end of their lives.

Recently I have provided campus recruitment training to students of an engineering college as an eminent IT company was visiting the campus. I provided training to enhance their employability skills to build their confidence.  I conducted several role-plays, activities and mock interview sessions to make them employable and deployable in the industry. They shared their experiences and takeaways from the training at the end of the session. I was thrilled and wished them good luck. Also, I cautioned them to treat this campus interview as an experience only. If they are selected it is fine. Otherwise, they should not take failure personally. I implored them to look for other companies.

Fortunately, good number of students was selected. Some of them have developed excessive ego and started to ridicule the rejected candidates who are their colleagues. They went to the extent of saying that they attended interview casually as they wanted to pursue M.S abroad. Some unsuccessful students approached me and poured their woes and the ill-treatment given to them by the successful people who were good friends until then. I felt very bad and expressed them that I am not concerned about the successful people but I am more concerned about the unsuccessful people as they need my attention to inspire them and my services to train and groom them to be successful. I shared the experiences of the people who rose from ranks and humble origins after hitting several successive lows in the early part of their lives including that of Abraham Lincoln. I implored them not to take failures personally but to learn lessons why they failed in order to improve themselves to grab employment opportunities.

In my personal life, I have seen many people who rose initially but failed miserably in the middle of their lives and went incognito ultimately. In life, who wins in the beginning of the life doesn’t count but who wins at the end of life counts. Hence, dear unsuccessful students I am always there with you to handhold and inspire you to make you successful. Once you are successful I will not be concerned about you as I will concentrate more on the other unsuccessful students to inspire them to make a difference.


"Forget past mistakes. Forget failures. Forget everything except what you're going to do now and do it." - William Durant







Life is great!

Listed in Marquis Who's Who in the World in 2013
Professor M.S.Rao Born for the Students
21 Success Sutras for Leaders: Top 10 Leadership Books of the Year (San Diego University) Amazon URL: http://www.amazon.com/21-Success-Sutras-Leaders-ebook/dp/B00AK98ELI




Thanks for reading!

Kindly share your thoughts and comments below, I’m sure someone out there will find your story useful.



Copyright©2013 MSR Leadership Consultants India. All Rights Reserved. Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.

This is an educational blog for free sharing of knowledge, not for commercial use. Please don't cut articles from my blog and redistribute by email or post to the web. The use of this material is free provided copyright is acknowledged and reference or link is made to the Blog http://professormsrao.blogspot.com  This material may not be sold, or published in any form, or used in the provision of business services to a third party without permission.

No comments:

Post a Comment