Sunday 30 September 2012

“Does MBTI Personality Style Change from Time to Time?” - Professor M.S.Rao



“I'm convinced that we can write and live our own scripts more than most people will acknowledge. I also know the price that must be paid. It's a real struggle to do it. It requires visualization and affirmation. It involves living a life of integrity, starting with making and keeping promises, until the whole human personality the senses, the thinking, the feeling, and the intuition are ultimately integrated and harmonized.” - Stephen Covey


Recently I have conducted the MBTI test on myself for the second time in my life to find out my personality type as I have the habit of practicing the tests before I execute them on my students and participants. To my surprise, my personality style changed from ENTJ to ISFJ within a span of 5 years.  I rechecked the questions and answers repeatedly to find out if I had made any mistakes. Answers were correct and, therefore, the results were also right.  I explored this trigger further to benefit my students and participants.   Let us discuss the basics of MBTI first.

An individual’s personality profile is identified along four dimensions as per The Myers-Briggs type Indicator (MBTI) such as orientation to life (Extroverted/Introverted); perception (Sensing/Intuitive); decision making (Thinking/Feeling); and attitude toward the outside world (Judgment/Perception). It provides total 16 personality types.  There is nothing like right or wrong personality as people are different.  As people change from time to time based on their knowledge levels, experience, environment, and age their personality styles, multiple intelligence categories and learning styles change.

Here is the precise report on ISFJ:

7 – 10 % of Americans belong to this category. People of this personality type are hard workers, detail-oriented, considerate of others’ feelings, friendly and warm to others, very conscientious, and down-to-earth.  As there is always room for improvement, they must involve in study group from time to time; think about the information in an abstract form; strive to look at things more logically; and look at the entire situation before making a judgment.

I realized that I have changed from the dimensions of Extroverted to Introverted; and from Intuitive to Sensing keeping the dimensions of Thinking and Judgment intact within 5 years.  When I shared my own case study with the participants they found it interesting and enjoyed.


"Personality can open doors, but only character can keep them open."   - Elmer G. Letterman



Born for the Students



Dear readers,

I would appreciate your comments about this article.



Copyright©2012 MSR Leadership Consultants India. All Rights Reserved. Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.

This is an educational blog for free sharing of knowledge, not for commercial use. Please don't cut articles from my blog and redistribute by email or post to the web. The use of this material is free provided copyright is acknowledged and reference or link is made to the Blog http://professormsrao.blogspot.com  This material may not be sold, or published in any form, or used in the provision of business services to a third party without permission.


3 comments:

  1. My guess is that the test has failed somehow. All scientific research on personality development suggest minor changes over the lifespan. That said your change from ENTJ to ISFJ is more or less in line with the typical changes thought to be a result of maturation. But in just five years? I don't know.

    ReplyDelete
  2. My father made the test a while ago, and he got the result as an ISFJ . When we read the traits of ISFJ it didn't match him apparently very accurately . So we redid the test again , and found that he was an ENTJ. Reading the traits of ENTJ it made much sense about things in him and so he is an ENTJ. And I guess this is the same was with you.

    ReplyDelete