Sunday 22 September 2013

“Sell Yourself to Stand Out” - Professor M.S.Rao


“The aim of marketing is to know and understand the customer so well the product or service fits him and sells itself.” – Peter Drucker


You must know how to sell yourself. It sounds strange right!  Recently in one of my training programs, a participant asked me the following question: do the interviewers think that I am boosting myself while responding to the question ‘tell me about yourself’? Here is the answer:

Interview is all about selling yourself. It is an opportunity for you to showcase your skills and strengths to your recruiters.  Unless you speak how do the recruiters know about you?  Hence, you must highlight your academic, work experience and other achievements assertively. Ensure that you don’t sound arrogant in your response. Understand the difference between arrogance and assertiveness. Respond properly for this question as it is the ice-breaking question during your employment interview. It may either make or break your prospects to grab your employment offer. 

When you love a girl, you dress well and show yourself to impress her. It is also a way of selling yourself. You must market properly to sell yourself. If your resume is synonymous with marketing, your interview is synonymous with selling yourself. Don’t think what others think about you. You must always think of unconventional ways to sell yourself to stand out from others.

The present world is all about selling as people sell their services, products and ideas to stand out.  In my own case, I did not market my books properly although I have authored 22 books resulting in poor international visibility initially. However, my book titled ’21 Success Sutras for Leaders’ published by Pearson Education has been ranked as the top ten book by San Diego University. Thanks to the aggressive marketing of my publisher – Pearson!   Previously, I was under the impression that books will sell automatically when they have substance. How do the readers know that my books have the substance unless they are marketed and displayed properly across the bookshelves by my publishers? Now I realize that I must market my books through social media. Hence, I started getting aggressive in marketing my books. Remember, the marketing slogan - ‘more display more sales’.


"If you can, be first. If you can't be first, create a new category in which you can be first." - Al Ries & Jack Trout, The 22 Immutable Laws of Marketing







Life is great!

Listed in Marquis Who's Who in the World in 2013
Professor M.S.Rao Born for the Students
21 Success Sutras for Leaders: Top 10 Leadership Books of the Year (San Diego University) Amazon URL: http://www.amazon.com/21-Success-Sutras-Leaders-ebook/dp/B00AK98ELI




Thanks for reading!

Kindly share your thoughts and comments below, I’m sure someone out there will find your story useful.



Copyright©2013 MSR Leadership Consultants India. All Rights Reserved. Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.

This is an educational blog for free sharing of knowledge, not for commercial use. Please don't cut articles from my blog and redistribute by email or post to the web. The use of this material is free provided copyright is acknowledged and reference or link is made to the Blog http://professormsrao.blogspot.com  This material may not be sold, or published in any form, or used in the provision of business services to a third party without permission.

No comments:

Post a Comment